A governance structure is mostly completed, including a Constitution and By-laws in accordance with the requirements of not-for-profit agencies in various jurisdictions. Medical Physics for World Benefit is striving to achieve not-for-profit status within Canada and the United States. Details of Medical Physics for World Benefit governance will be posted here soon.
In order to achieve and maintain Not-For-Profit Status in Canada, the Not-For-Profit Corporations Act sets some limitations on the location of meetings (see Section 159). Specifically the act states the following:
Place of Meetings
159. (1) Meetings of members of a corporation shall be held within Canada at the place provided in the by-laws or, in the absence of such a provision, at the place that the directors determine.
Meeting outside Canada
(2) Despite subsection (1), a meeting of members of a corporation may be held at a place outside Canada if the place is specified in the articles or all the members entitled to vote at the meeting agree that the meeting is to be held at that place.
(3) A member who attends a meeting of members held outside Canada is deemed to have agreed to it being held outside Canada except when the member attends the meeting for the express purpose of objecting to the transaction of any business on the grounds that the meeting is not lawfully held.
For Canadian members of Medical Physics for World Benefit, a condition of membership is that General Meetings of members can be held outside of Canada.
2. As a condition of membership, you agree to the mission and values statement of Medical Physics for World Benefit.
3. Conflict of Interest: Conflicts may exist with an institution, within an educational setting, with industry, or with clinical practice activities. Members should be aware when personal interests conflict with other interests. Members shall put the needs of Medical Physics for World Benefit, and the patients they serve, above their own personal interests. Conflicts of interests are not inherently unethical or to be avoided, but they must be disclosed to any involved party and managed appropriately. Members of Medical Physics for World Benefit shall conduct themselves and business professionally, ethically and responsibly, and disclose any potential Conflict of Interests when appropriate when conducting business on behalf or for Medical Physics for World Benefit.